Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Show me the gold - Golden Pavilion, that is.

If we thought that the temples we'd seen thus far were impressive, we had no idea what was waiting for us with the Golden Pavilion. It seemed our luck had run out in terms of crowds when we had to wait in line to purchase entrance tickets. School groups were everywhere, as were tourists from everywhere (more Israelis seen here in one hour than on our entire trip). 
Ori and I play a game - spot the Israeli. We're usually spot on. Its just so easy to spot them - especially men. You guys, post army, with your legs spread stance and your arms behind your back, the look in your eye. I can smell you a mile away. Its not like we start talking to them, or befriend them. Its just funny to spot them. Im sure we're not the only ones playing this game, or one form of it, so don't roll your eyes when reading this. I wouldn't be surprised if you yourself have done it a time or two :)
Anyways, back to the Pavilion. Its gorgeous. Yaya, you say, you're a girl and you like gold. Maybe, however, Ori too was in awe. Its just that its so beautiful standing there like it was photoshopped into the background. Perfection. 
Thats something that we've noticed over our time here. Everything has to be perfect. Gardens are perfectly cut, roads are cleaned in the mornings, people are employed to pick up tiny little bits of garbage with tongs, standing on the left side of the escalators (which I mentioned in an earlier post). Actually, now that I think about it, I have to ammend that little bit iof information. If you're in Japan, stand on the left and let those who need to run go on the right. That means if you dont have to run, stand. Walking up the escalators doesnt count. However, all this is null and void if you're in Okayama. In Okayama, stand on the right and free up the left for the runners. How are you supposed to know? Well, if you read my blog you know. Otherwise you can observe others, which is always a good thing in Japan as a foreigner.  
Back to our morning at the Golden Pavilion. There were what seemed like millions and we had to fight our way to the best viewing angle and of course the best selfie angle. No words can describe it. 
The thing is actually covered in gold - inside and out. And the location is amazing. Right in the middle of a tiny little pond, with perfect garden. There was even a man there wading in the water pulling out old pieces of Iris leaves from the water so that it doesnt taint the perfect look of the place.
We spent quite a while there in the little park. We even went back to the start because we saw the crowds thining out and wanted to see if we could enjoy the view without so many people. Success. 
Having for our fill of gold for the day, we decided we were templed out. A term Maya and I had coined the day before - it means to have had your fill of temples. 
We got a bus back to the centre of downtown and went looking for Ippudo - a Ramen place that Ori  had read about and wanted to try. We were let in immediately (he read to expect a line up, thankfully, didnt have to). We sat at the bar and were told that there was vegetarian Ramen - double success. Ori drooled over the dumplings and the Ramen and I had the Ramen with extra veggies. I could have sworn I could hear him pray as he was eating. You'd have thought the poor boy hadnt eaten for days the way he was enjoying this Ramen. Funny enough, on the backs of the wait staff's tshirts was written something along the lines of - Your happiness over eating our food makes us happy. Well, Ori's happiness must have made them very happy. 
We then went on walking about in downtown when I saw Tokyu Hands. It is a department store that is known to have crazy stuff. Even the Loney Planet recommends going there for kookie things. We were not disappointed. 
I have no idea how to describe that contraption that Ronaldo is advertising, maybe a smile muscle excerciser, but it wasnt the only thing there that had his name on it. And the thing with the woman in a mask, i have no idea. But the bottom left corner, thats where poor Ori lost me, or I lost him. And entire floor dedicated to stationary, arts and crafts, and washi tape - hundreds of colours, designss, widths, finishes (glossy, mat, embosed, etc). I was a good girl and didnt buy any. I had bought some the week before and knew that I was going to buy more so, i tried to be good. 
We left having bought only a dumpling maker. I think thats what frustrated Ori even more so than had I bought half the stationary floor. I wandered around and didnt buy anything. I told him he should be thankful that Im not the type to buy half the store and that I get satisfaction from looking and not only buying. He concended the fact. Walking around, we thought we spotted a Geisha and her Meiko but then we saw the photographers and how she was standing for photos. Geishas dont do that. Geishas dont stand around taking pictures at all. When they are out in public in their full gear, they are on their way to an appointment. In fact, we were told not to hold our breath cause a sighting is as rare as seeing the Loch Ness monster. We took a few photos of this pretend Geisha and moved on. 
We then walked towards Pontocho.We decided to look for a specific Shabu Shabu restaurant that was recommended to us. It is a meal in a pot. Better know where it is in advance, see if they need reservations (they laughed at me when they finally understood what I was asking) and to see whether there were any menu options for me. We found it, there were food options, and were told to come back at eight. 
Seeing the little streets and shops was lots of fun.  As were walking around the little streets, Ori says to me quietly, almost in a whisper - Sivan Look! 
OMG its the Loch Ness monster. No, thats not what he said to me, its what Im saying to you. We had a sighting of a real Geisha! Im still excited writing this down. Within seconds I became a Geisha stalker. Too bad my manners and limited knowledge of Geisha tradition stopped me from breaking out in a run to be ahead of her and turn around snapping shots like a mad woman. Youll have to excuse the shots, they are the best I could do. 
Sooooo coooollll! We could immediately see the different in clothing, hair (wow, it was perfect, and gorgeously made up), makeup, shoes (OMG the shoes were crazy high) and the attitude. It was exactly as we were told. They dont smile at you. They dont stop for photos. They don't stop for anything. In fact, her walking was a little like the parting of the Red Sea for the Israelites. As she walked, the crowds drew apart creating a path for her and her Meika. After about a minute or two of stalking her, she turned and walked into a subdued tea house. An Israeli woman walked in after her and promptly came back out. 
Did I mention that it was super cool?
It took a while for the excitement to calm down, all around. There actually was a Japanese woman who was stalking right along with me, but she was way worse. She actually did break into a run to snap photos of her from the front. I hope she got some good shots, cause I doubt the Geisha was very happy with her. 
We got back to the hotel, showered changed and went back to Pontocho for the Shabu Shabu restaurant. We were led upstairs and were invited to sit on pillows on the floor by low tables - awesome! Sometimes I feel that because of my dietary restrictions, Ori isnt getting to experience all the Japanese food that he could. However, we do try to try different things and local things (not just a French bakery like the dessert from the night before). Well, this place served us a brass bowl to the table with a bunch of vegetables, raw chicken breast, and noodles. The bowl was placed atop a gas burner in the middle of our table.
The waitress/cook lit the burner and within minutes the thing started to boil. The base was a white miso soup (we got to choose from four different types, but that was the one that was recommended to us). It was a relaxing evening, and mostly quiet speakers and the attmosphere was great. Once the food was ready, we dished it into little bowls and dug in. Yummy. I was positively impressed.  
We went back to to the hotel satisfied and satiated from our last full day in Kyoto. 
OMG a real Geisha!! Yes, I know, Im repeating myself, but it was great. 
Tomorrow we'll be leaving Kyoto and heading to Takayama for the Festival. Woooo hooo. I wonder what tomorrow will bring? 





No comments:

Post a Comment